Thursday, August 13, 2009

Launching a Major Newspaper Web Site in 1996 Offered Hints of the Trouble to Come

Kevin Naff writes about leaving print for the web in the early days of the Baltimore Sun's website:

One of my more memorable run-ins with the defensive, entrenched print news staff came on the night of Princess Diana's death in August 1997. It was late at night on a weekend when word came of the Paris car crash. I headed to the office to help assemble our web coverage -- breaking news updates, links to foreign news reports, photo galleries, bio, archived coverage of Diana's visit to Maryland, etc. A senior editor stopped me in the newsroom and demanded to know what I was doing there. When I told him, he responded, "Your job is to follow print." I told him he had a lot to learn and continued working.

}}} full column {{{
.

No comments: