Friday, April 24, 2009

Internet + recession = no job

Tracy Sherlock writes:

When Barack Obama won the U.S. presidential election, street sales of the New York Times surged. Why? The theory is that people wanted a souvenir of the historic event, and a newspaper perfectly fit the bill.

A sad reality is that the newspaper itself may soon be a souvenir of the past. Newspapers were already struggling before the economy crashed, and now that struggle has become even tougher.

Newspapers are one of my favourite things. This love affair started when I was about 10 years old and went on a school field trip to the Pacific Press building. We had a tour of the newsroom and of the printing presses. I even took home a metal slug, which I still have somewhere, with the name of my elementary school engraved on it.


}}} full story {{{
.

No comments: