Friday, February 13, 2009

Financial collapse threatens real journalism

David Horsey writes:

Tuesday night, I attended the National Press Foundation's 26th annual awards dinner. It was at the same event 10 years ago in the same ballroom at the Washington Hilton that I received my first major national prize, the Berryman Award for Cartoonist of the Year. That honor was the harbinger of even bigger things to come in my career, so I arrived in a wave of happy nostalgia.

Four hours later, I left depressed. The banquet had been more a wake than a celebration. Speaker after speaker talked about the crisis in American journalism, or more precisely, the crisis in the business model that has successfully supported American journalism until just the past few years.


}}} full column {{{
.

No comments: