Sunday, November 16, 2008

Claudia Mundell: The future of our newspapers

The recent announcement that the Christian Science Monitor, along with other newspapers and magazines, will cease publication deeply saddens me.

It reinforced the opinion of a recent speaker at a writing conference in Whitefish, Mont., who said newspapers would be a thing of the past in another 15 years.

I acknowledge that computers, the Internet, Web sites, and blogs have altered our ways of getting information and news, but my heart aches at the thought of no newspapers. Reading was only one of the ways newspapers influenced my life.

My dad was not much of a reader, but the evening paper along with one pipeful of tobacco was his evening reward at the end of a hard day doing manual labor. It was understood that the living room should be silent after supper when Dad turned on local weatherman Earl Ludlum and unfolded the newspaper.


}}} full column {{{
.

No comments: